Registration commences on Friday 22 March 2019.
Categories and Entrant Numbers are as follows:
- Individual Men Rx – 24 (The top 10-15 athletes in SA as from “The Open” and previous podium finishes are invited)
- Individual Women Rx – 24 (The top 10-15 athletes in SA as from “The Open”and previous podium finishes are invited)
- NEW DIVISION – Individual Men Intermediate – 18
- NEW DIVISION – Individual Women Intermediate – 18
- Individual Men Scaled – 18
- Individual Women Scaled – 18
- Team Rx, Super teams – 18 teams (5 team places held for the 20 invited individuals)
- Team Rx, Box Teams – 18 teams
- NEW DIVISION – Team Intermediate – 18 teams
- Team Scaled – 18 teams
* The competition is open to both Affiliated CrossFit Boxes and Non-affiliates (except in the Rx’ed Box Team division). Participants must be at least 16 years of age as of 31 December 2018.
The Individual Event:
- The Individual event will take place in one action packed day on Friday, 7th of June. Participants need to be available from 7:00 am through to late evening (22:00) on Friday.
- This event is open to anyone but we will invite the top 10 Men and top 10 Women athletes from “The Open”! The positions are open for entry on a first pay, first register basis.
- These athletes are then encouraged to enter the team competition on the 8th (Sat) and 9th (Sun) June. These athletes can enter as Super Teams, Mixed Teams, Non-Affiliates or with their Box Affiliate Team.
The Team Event
- Teams will be comprised of 4 individuals (2 men and 2 women) for all categories.
- Super Team (Rx Division) members can be made up of individuals from different Boxes and or Non-affiliates.
- Box Teams (Rx Division) must consist of individuals who are training at the same Box, and is only open to Official CrossFit Affiliates.
- The Intermediate and Scaled Team Divisions are open to both Affiliates and Non-affiliates and will compete in the same division.
- The Super Teams and Box Teams will both participate in the RX’ed heats.
Rx’ed Division – Box Teams and Super Teams will have the following sub-divisions:
1) Box Teams vs Box Teams
2) Super Teams vs Super Teams
3) Super Teams vs Box Teams
1) Invited Individuals (Top 10-15 invited from The Open and previous podium finishes)- Free entry into the Individual and Team Competitions
2) Individuals – R750 (but all Athletes only pay for 1 division).
3) Individuals need to register and make payment (R750) as an individual. Their fee will then be waived when entering the team.
3) The Team entry fee is R3000. The team captain will need to make this payment in full, on the Registration Page. If one team member is participating in the Individual competition, the team captain will pay R3000 less the waived R750 (i.e. R2250.)
Division Entry Guidelines
A Scaled Division has been included at the EC Champs for both the Individuals and the Teams. The scaled division has reduced loading and or less challenging movements, making this division even more accessible to most Box members. We have included an Intermediate Division for 2018 to brdige the gap between the RX’ED and Scaled divisions.
Dumbbell, Barbell or KB movement loads will be appropriate for advanced athletes. Muscle-up’s, Chest to Bar Pull-up’s, Pistols, Handstand Push-up’s, Rope Climbing and the like can be included in these divisions. Light through to heavy loads can be expected in this division.
Dumbbell, Barbell or KB movement loads will be appropriate for intermediate athletes. Pull-up’s, Kipping Handstand Push-ups, other intermediate gymnastics can be included in these divisions. Light through to heavy loads can be expected in this division. Olympic movements will be made easier – For example with snatches, an athlete will be allowed to 1st power snatch and then overhead squat if they are unable to complete a fluid squat snatch. The goal is to make this division accessible for beginners.
Athletes should be competent with common exercise movements. These may include but are not limited to Barbell, Dumbell, or KB Movements. The prescribed weights for Dumbbell, Barbell or KB movements will be appropriate for beginners and thus makes this competition accessible to all. Loading will be light to moderate, except in the case of any strength/power tests. Movements that will NOT be included are muscle-up’s, pull-ups, double under’s, handstand push-ups, toes to bar and pistols. Olympic movements will be made easier – For example with snatches, an athlete will be allowed to 1st power snatch and then overhead squat if they are unable to complete a fluid squat snatch. The goal is to make this division accessible for beginners.
PAR-Q and Indemnity Forms
It is every athlete’s responsibility to ensure that they are of the appropriate fitness level for the event. Each athlete is required to sign a PAR-Q form and Personal Indemnity Form before they compete. You can complete the PAR-Q form at registration or download at this link (Indemnity & PARQ – East Cape Champs 18), print and bring to registration. Team captains can bring their team’s fully completed PAR-Q forms if the captain will be the only one Registering the team. You must have completed and signed the PAR-Q form in full to be able to compete at the EECC in 2019.